About Athens to Atlanta
New for 2021, participants get to skip the dark Loop 10 descent, skip the “not-as-bad-as-it-was-15-years-ago” Gatorback, and skip Donn’s hill leading into the City of Dacula. Instead, this year, participants will arrive to Dacula in style on Sunday morning, refreshed and ready to start with the sun shining. (We’re doing our best to find the silver linings in this year’s forced situation!)
Veteran participants will get to learn why the 49-mile skaters of yesteryear keep on sleeping in and starting in Dacula. New participants will get to check out the “flatter half” of our course (pay no mind, there are plenty of hills to go around), skating out of suburbia and into the city streets, passing through storied sections such as “there’s-nothing-Pleasant-about-it” Pleasant Hill Rd, the infamous Silver Hill, and finishing through the winding streets of Atlanta.
If 49 miles is a little too much to chew this year, we are offering a “Party Distance,” starting at the #1 party spot on the route, Checkpoint 5. Skaters will start just after the Silver Hill Rd descent, and skate toward Decatur, finishing their 16-mile skate in Historic Fourth Ward Skatepark.
PLEASE NOTE: Our 49-mile & 16-mile courses are held on open roads, on the busier section of our course. Regardless of distance, these are considered advanced street skates. You must be very comfortable skating on rough surfaces, sharing the road with cars, and controlling your speed on downhills (including long, fast downhills, and being able to fully stop at a downhill intersection). Off-duty police are employed at strategic intersections, but may not be quick enough to stop traffic for you. REGARDLESS of your speed or your event goal, YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO STOP AT ALL LIGHTS, AND FOLLOW TRAFFIC LAWS.
Email us at email@example.com with any questions.
- Friday October 22
- 6:30PM Friday Night Skate Meet Up - Skate Escape (12th & Piedmont Road)
- 7:00 - 9:00 PM Police Escorted Friday Night Skate (Helmets required, lights and wrist protection strongly recommended
- 9:00 Burritos, Beer, and Margs at Willy's across from Skate Escape
- NO FRIDAY NIGHT BUS
- Saturday October 23
- 10:00 - 11:00 AM Rollerblade 10K Challenge (Group up at Historic Fourth Ward Skatepark)
- 2:00 - 6:00 PM Packet Pick Up
Bantam Pub - 737 Ralph McGill Blvd NE, Atlanta, GA 30312
Easily accessible via walking or skating on the Atlanta Eastside Beltline.
- Free parking available on surrounding streets.
- Easy-skating distance, or walking distance to Atlanta’s Eastside Beltline Trail
- **There will be no packet pick up on Sunday morning**
- 6:00 - 7:00 PMMandatory Pre-Skate Meeting/Henry's Rant: Bantam Pub (same location as packet pickup/registration). Bring your own chair/blanket/feet. Last minute route changes, hazards, etc may be announced. Henry's rant is a classic and not to be missed!
- Sunday October 24
- 6:15 AM Sunday Bus to Dacula leaves Historic Fourth Ward Skate Park (830 Willoughby Way NE, Atlanta GA 30312) (PRE-reservations required, $30.00)
- 16-mile CP5 to Atlanta Participants must provide their own transportation to the CP5 skate start
- 7:00 - 7:50 AM Baggage Truck / Checkpoint Boxes available for loading (see skater packet for details)
- All personal bags will be transported to Historic Fourth Ward Skatepark
- Checkpoint boxes will be located on the side of the baggage truck
- Place your food items in a bag with your name, and place it in the box with the checkpoint number where you want your bag to be.
- Checkpoints available will be: CP4, CP5, CP6
- 7:45 AM Pre-Skate Announcements
- 8:00 AM 49-mile Skate Start (2505 2nd Ave, Dacula, GA)
- 10:00 AM CP5 Skate Start (Stone Mountain Seventh-day Adventist Church | 1350 Silver Hill Rd | Stone Mountain, GA)
- Participants must provide their own transportation to the CP5 start line
- 2:30 PM Awards Ceremony (Atlanta Finish Line, Historic Fourth Ward Skatepark)
- Note: Applicable course maps are Checkpoint 3 through Finish.
Download the course maps below:
Book your room early and take advantage of the special rates for this year's event.
There is no special rate for A2A in Atlanta but we recommend the closest hotel to the Old Fourth Ward Skate Park.
The Highland Inn
644 N. Highland Ave.
Atlanta, Ga 30306